Thursday, April 30, 2009

I Admit, I'm an Idolater: St. Vincent's Actor


a while back at the MFA, on college night

So, St. Vincent has a new album (Actor). Had to spread the love. Bought it on pre-order because of the strength of Annie Clark's debut and how sweet and genuine her violinist, Dan Hart is (once upon a time we played a show with his other band, and they blew us away). Got it in the mail today with a complimentary 7" single. Amazing.


There's an epicness to many of these tracks as the progressions follow this sort of iambic rhythmic heartbeat– or maybe its just my own quickening pulse. Clark is as bone-chilling as always. I wonder if she gets tired of being referred to as ethereal, haunting, spooky, etc. but its hard to use any other adjectives when she's just always pushing musical life beyond the pale. When the first listen is this strong I know my speakers are getting months of electric exercise.

Reminds me of: the Pocahontas soundtrack, synchronized swimming, the sound of zippers, buddhist chanting, and all the best of 4AD.