Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Cooking with a Conscience





I may have ridiculously lax recycling practices (admittedly, I'm ok with a little littering in mostly man-made places like blacktops and supermarkets), but I do care. Don't get it twisted, I'm not a green freak - I don't give a rat's ass about "organic" produce or "free-range" anything. I mean there's very little from these pretty sticker labels that's well regulated enough to drive me out of apathy. However, this doesn't mean I don't believe in smart consumerism.

Since I cook all the time, and summer is a great time for seafood I just wanted to share this. It's a handy food guide from the Monterrey Bay Aquarium (one of my favorite places on earth). If you care about overfishing and environmental impact it's nice to know what's what.

It seems like small shit but Blue Planet devotees take heed. Overfishing leads to a number of disasterous things but one of my least favorite side effects has been the hundreds-upon-hundreds-fold explosion of Echizen Kurage, aka Nomura's Jellyfish. I mean, I love jellies but these bad motherf***ers average larger than most men are tall... and they roll mad deep, son: