Friday, June 26, 2009

MJ we hardly knew ye.

We all remember the time... when we fell in love.


Remember The Time - Michael Jackson

I'm at a serious loss... I keep him in rotation, I thumb the leaflets that came with those old CDs. But in my own kind of way I'm glad that Michael Jackson has found a way to renew fascination, renew interest in his amazing life. As someone who truly cares and believes that pop culture can be enriching and powerful instead of bitter and destructive, I remember Michael with the utmost respect and appreciation. He was a Renaissance man in his own peculiar way, aside from the singing and the dancing, he was also a fashion icon. For better or for worse he was an innovator and an inspiration. I really will miss him, it feels like certain chapters of your life turn to vapor with the passing of these people... the ones who've managed to chisel their legacy in collective memory.

The girls and boys today, all these fashion bloggers doing this semi-bondage, retro/vintage 80s thing... I bet they didn't realize til just now that they were always copying Michael. And there really is nothing wrong with that.



perfectly structured shoulders, tailored Givenchy and Balmain
sequins, military details, sashes, belts, stripes, that signature glove.
Bondage, biker, punk, Western, futuristic, d-rings and metallics galore.
the red "Thriller" and "Beat" it jackets,
recalls Rebel Without a Cause, amazing details.
a suit, classic fedora, shortened slacks, armband detail.