Saturday, August 2, 2008

One, Two, Tat-usucaption






Tattoos, tattoos. Oh, what you do to me...

I want one so badly, and since I've designed both my brother's tattoos - I s'pose they owe me one (or two). But tattoos are a tricky, tricky business. Especially for a female. It's surprisingly acceptable for a man to get chest, arm, and certain back tattoos. Even calf tats pass muster. But for the ladies... we have "ass-antlers", "tramp stamps" and all sorts of other locations on the body that equate with butch/les or *ahem* ladies-of-the-night.

But - tattoos can be ridiculously beautiful and I'm dying to be inked. So heres my initial idea plus slightly more palatable placement:


The images here being the sampaguita (national flower of my mother's country, the Philippines), the fish scales which mimic the tattoo I designed for my oldest brother, and the third being a stylized Haitian conch (after the other half of my family and a nod to my other brother's tattoo).

But its not enough is it? I do want it to be in that sort of yakuza-esque (more Hokusai and Hiroshige, actually) heavy block lines and gradient format, but I don't think I've yet succeeded.

Back to the drawing board? Yes, I think so. But with time I should have it through tat-usucaption soon.